Accounting & Payroll Clerk (18 month contract)
Shearwater Research is a privately held, profitable technology company which is the world leader in the field of technical diving computers and rebreather oxygen controllers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results in a tangible, visible manner. We are a fast growing company with a very bright future.
We provide a culture that embraces innovation, passion, and performance excellence. We offer professional growth opportunities and a dynamic, informal, and engaging workplace. Join our team and enjoy an inspiring environment, where challenging and interesting work is part of daily life. We invite you to check us out at www.shearwater.com
Accounting & Payroll Clerk
Our Accounting & Payroll Clerk support our Sales and Service team to process incoming payments, and reconciling/ resolving AR issues. This role also prepares and processes a full cycle Canadian payroll, including the benefit administration process via 3rd party payroll and benefit portal systems.
- Processing incoming payments, reconciling AR subledger and investigating and resolving AR issues
- Collaborate with the Sales department to resolve issues with incoming AR payments
- Provide support and guidance to sales admin team in processing adjustment entries
- Prepare bank reconciliation for month-end
- Back up for AP (posting invoice, cheque runs)
- Prepare and maintain month-end reports, vacation accrual and commission working papers reports.
- Support Controller/Accounting Team with Year-end Accounting tasks
- Prepare and process full cycle Canadian payroll, including calculation of sales commissions
- Investigate and resolve payroll discrepancies and prepare journal entry adjustments if needed
- Ensure data integrity, conduct periodic audits of information collected in Payworks
- Responsible for Year-end process (reconciliations, update taxable benefits, and T4s etc.)
- Prepares Record of Employment (ROE) when required and respond to other internal and external shareholders’ inquiries such using online time off request and payroll and benefits information
- Ensures all new staff benefit plans are entered into insurance carrier platform and updates as required.
- Proactively take steps to improve existing payroll software functionality
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Accounting diploma or degree and 3-years general accounting experience. Understanding of basic accounting principles is an asset
- Minimum 2-years of Canadian payroll experience. Payroll Compliance Practitioner designation, an asset
- Experienced user of 3rd party payroll provider platform. Payworks experience is an asset
- Thorough understanding of BC employment standards, and Canada Revenue Agency taxation guidelines as they relate to payroll and benefits
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Prior work experience with Microsoft Dynamics preferred
The successful candidate is a customer-oriented problem solver who builds effective relationships through well thought out communication to get the job done and brings:
- Must have strong attention to detail and proven ability to follow-through; be committed to finishing tasks you start.
- Proven experience communicating respectfully and empathetically with department staff. Excellent English verbal and written communication skills (additional languages an asset).
- Ability to proactively Problem solve in a positive manner and will take the initiative to action resolution, delegate where needed, and follow up in a timely manner.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Proficient at communicating and working with a global support team virtually.
These are some of the benefits Shearwater employees enjoy:
- Flex time and Hybrid work site arrangements for most professional staff
- Company paid Life, AD&D, Dental, Extended Health, EAP Plan + Health Spending Account
- Competitive vacation allowance
- Group RSP with company matching contributions
- 5 personal days per calendar year (paid out if not used)
- Diving – open water ticket, dry suit and advanced training company paid
- Bonuses based on successful annual financial performance of the company
- 10 min tenant shuttle (or bus) from Skytrain and local Parking available
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shearwater Research is a privately held technology ISO9001:2015 certified world leader in the field of dive computers for serious divers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, New Zealand, and Thailand.
Shearwater Research is an equal opportunity employer. If you are contacted regarding the position, please advise the member of our recruiting team of any accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Contact and Next Steps
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com
Upcoming Dive Shows
Shearwater Research will be at the following dive shows:
Canadian Underwater Conference & Exhibition (CUCE)
Read More / Mar 26-28
Read More / Mar 31 - Apr 2
MARINE DIVING FAIR (マリンダイビングフェア)
Read More / Apr 7-9
Rebreather Forum 4
Read More / Apr 20-22
Read More / Apr 24-29 5259
International Exposition S&R
Read More / May 5-7
TDEX Thailand Dive Expo
Read More / May 18-21
MIDE Malaysia International Dive Expo
Read More / May 26-28
Long Beach Scuba Show
Read More / Jun 3-4 720 and 722
Read More / Sep 25-29 248
Read More / Nov 14-17 3728