Shearwater Research is a privately held, profitable technology company which is the world leader in the field of technical diving computers and rebreather oxygen controllers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results in a tangible, visible manner. We are a fast growing company with a very bright future.
We provide a culture that embraces innovation, passion, and performance excellence. We offer professional growth opportunities and a dynamic, informal, and engaging workplace. Join our team and enjoy an inspiring environment, where challenging and interesting work is part of daily life. We invite you to check us out at www.shearwater.com
This position is responsible for directing, coordinating, maintaining, and controlling an accounting system that properly and accurately reflects the financial position of the Company in accordance with ASPE and other established regulatory authorities. In addition, the position oversees budgeting, general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, fixed asset management and all other financial systems to safeguard the assets of the Company.
The Controller is one of 2 positions that report to the Vice President - Finance. The other position is the IT Manager. The Controller has 2 positions reporting, namely, the Payroll and Accounting Clerk and the Accounting clerk
1. Accounting policies and procedures:
- Assists in the development, introduction, administration and evaluation of accounting policies and procedures to meet executive and operational needs.
- Documents departmental processes.
- Ensures that policies are in accordance with evolving regulations, legal requirements, and industry trends.
- Supervises the development and implementation of financial information and control systems, including general ledger, budgeting, cost allocation, and other subsystems.
2. Financial Reporting:
- Oversees the preparation of daily, monthly, annual, and other periodic financial statements and reports. Ensures that external document submissions and filings are accurate and timely.
- Works with Operation managers to provide cost accounting reconciliation, BOM and Inventory analysis, Pricing modelling, and performance reports.
- Coordinates tax reporting requirements. Works with external accountants to file Canadian tax returns. Oversees the preparation and filing of payroll taxes, and tracks and reports fringe benefit tax data.
- Prepares and monitors the Accounting Department budget and business plan. • Coordinates the annual audit. Ensures that accounting records and reports are in compliance with ASPE and government regulations. Cooperates with and assists external auditors as appropriate.
- Coordinates annual inventory count. Ensures that inventory count is accurate and variances reported as per compliance with ASPE. • Oversees and coordinates the preparation and control of quarterly and annual operational budgets.
- Completes reports and analyses of departmental and area operations as requested by Senior Management. Conducts cost analysis, variance investigations, ratio and trend analysis, and other comparative examinations as appropriate.
3. Daily operations and administrative functions:
- Ensures effective financial internal controls for the Department and the Company, including controls over inventory counts, fixed assets and cash management.
- Oversees payroll.
- Coordinates accounting information systems, which track specific operational and financial data. Works to implement and update systems including operational and financial systems, HR/payroll, fixed asset management, expense management, cash management.
- Completes financial analysis of Company cash flow, investment strategies, banking relationships, debt management, etc. Develops and implements improvements as appropriate. Tracks and manages movements of cash flow to optimize the movement of cash and improve EBITDA.
4. Effective Communications:
- Advises department managers regarding accounting entries, reports, variances and comparative analyses.
- Coordinates accounting functions with other departments.
- Ensures that all employees are well informed of accounting policies, procedures, and regulations. Facilitates consistency at all levels of accounting operations.
- Attends and participates in meetings and committees as appropriate.
- Prepares monthly Control Panel data and comments for company-wide distribution
5. Supervision of Accounting personnel:
- Oversees hiring and succession planning for the Department. Assesses staffing requirements and fills open positions with qualified candidates.
- Provides leadership to accounting personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication. Conducts meetings to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in programs, policies, and procedures.
- Trains, directs, and coordinates personnel. Ensures that training and development needs are met and provides assistance and support as needed.
- Conducts performance appraisals as assigned. Provides measurable feedback to accounting staff and suggestions for improved performance. Formulates and implements employee corrective actions as needed.
1. Education & Experience:
- Recognized accounting designation (ie. CPA) supplemented by 3-5 years progressively responsible related experience.
- Minimum three years in a manufacturing environment. Prior experience as a controller desirable
- Prior public accounting experience an asset.
- International financial accounting experience considered an asset.
2. Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- High ethical standards.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities in progressively senior positions.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach, motivate and council direct reports.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and works well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Good working knowledge of present accounting theory and practice, including consolidations and foreign currency transactions, and cost accounting.
- Good working knowledge of advance accounting software and other information technology systems. Experience in implementing or converting software systems a strong asset.
- Knowledge of reporting to various tax and government agencies
- Experience in dealing with external auditors including the ability to assess necessary external accounting practises.
- Familiarity with current legislation and other external forces of an economic or socioeconomic nature.
- Ability to adapt and work well in a continuously changing environment.
These are some of the benefits Shearwater employees enjoy:
- Flex time and Hybrid work site arrangements for most professional staff
- Company paid Life, AD&D, Dental, Extended Health, EAP Plan + Health Spending Account
- Competitive vacation allowance
- Group RSP with company matching contributions
- 5 personal days per calendar year (paid out if not used)
- Diving – open water ticket, dry suit and advanced training company paid
- Bonuses based on successful annual financial performance of the company
- 10 min tenant shuttle (or bus) from Skytrain and local Parking available
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Shearwater Research is a privately held technology ISO9001:2015 certified world leader in the field of dive computers for serious divers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, New Zealand, and Thailand.
Shearwater Research is an equal opportunity employer. If you are contacted regarding the position, please advise the member of our recruiting team of any accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Contact and Next Steps
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org