Shearwater Research is a privately held, profitable technology company which is the world leader in the field of technical diving computers and rebreather oxygen controllers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results in a tangible, visible manner. We are a fast growing company with a very bright future.
Shearwater Research, is a privately held, profitable technology ISO9001:2015 certified company which is the world leader in the field of dive computers for serious divers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results. We are a fast-growing company with a very bright future and are welcoming team players as we continue to expand our team.
We provide a culture that embraces innovation, passion and performance excellence. We offer professional growth opportunities and a dynamic, informal and engaging workplace. Join our team and enjoy an inspiring environment where challenging and interesting work is part of daily life. We invite you to check us out at www.shearwater.com
As a Firmware Engineer you will be responsible for managing strategic firmware projects from conception to release and developing highly-reliable code for advanced technical dive computers and rebreather control systems. Coding is primarily in C and encompasses the entire range of embedded development from peripheral drivers to user interfaces. Best practices will be employed and continually refined regarding architecture, maintainability, documentation, and testability. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering.
Key skills and qualifications you bring…
- 3+ years experience developing high-reliability embedded systems.
- High competency in C for embedded systems.
- Understanding of the limitations of C in highly reliable systems.
- Knowledge of RTOS and embedded firmware architecture.
- Experience with ARM Cortex microcontrollers and writing drivers for MCU peripherals.
- Able to read schematics and PCB layouts and perform basic hardware debugging.
- Able to operate electronics test equipment such as multimeters, debuggers, oscilloscopes, and logic analyzers.
- Familiar with common engineering tools such as revision control, bug tracking, and project management systems.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Interface with customers and internal stakeholders to define requirements and designs.
- Implement code for diverse projects ranging from quick prototypes to critical highly reliable deployments.
- Define and design testing protocols and tools.
- Manage timelines and priorities for own projects and communicate these to internal and external stakeholders.
- May require limited travel domestically and internationally.
- Able to self motivate and assume responsibility of projects to bring developments to a successful conclusion.
- An effective communicator, able to articulate complex technical specifications to customers and partner engineers, while also communicating successfully with less technical staff members.
- Strong technical problem solving and project management skills with a drive to get things done.
- Scuba diving or interest in company sponsored scuba training
- Scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Prior experience in a consumer electronic products environment
- Desire to contribute to organisation beyond core requirements
These are some of the benefits Shearwater employees enjoy:
- Group RSP with company matching contributions 100% up to an annual maximum of $2,500
- Starting vacation at 3 weeks/year
- 5 personal days per year over and above your vacation allowance (after 3-month probationary period)
- Enhanced Health and Dental medical plan $3,500 for married/$1,750 for single (extremely flexible plan, no co-pay or monthly fee)
- MSP covered 100% for staff and immediate family
- Diving – open water, dry suit and advanced covered; possibly more as approved by manager
- Training available to all staff
- Toastmasters - $500 bonus for completing competent communicator; dues paid for first year while completing
- Quarterly social events like bowling, attending baseball games, Christmas party, summer BBQ's, etc.
- Fresh fruit and nut deliveries weekly
- Flex time
- First-come, first-served for vacation requests
- Possible yearly bonuses based on the annual financial performance of the company
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Contact and Next Steps
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Dive Shows
Shearwater Research will be at the following dive shows:
2020 Diving Festival Tokyo
Read More / Feb 1-2
2020 Underwater Intervention
Read More / Feb 4-6 306
2020 Boston Sea Rover
Read More / Mar 7-8
2020 Beneath the Sea
Read More / Mar 27-29 738