Senior Firmware Engineer
Shearwater Research is a privately held, profitable technology company which is the world leader in the field of technical diving computers and rebreather oxygen controllers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results in a tangible, visible manner. We are a fast growing company with a very bright future.
We provide a culture that embraces innovation, passion, and performance excellence. We offer professional growth opportunities and a dynamic, informal, and engaging workplace. Join our team and enjoy an inspiring environment, where challenging and interesting work is part of daily life. We invite you to check us out at www.shearwater.com
As a Senior Firmware Engineer you will develop highly-reliable code for advanced technical dive computers and rebreather control systems. Coding is primarily in C and encompasses the entire range of embedded development from peripheral drivers to user interfaces. Best practices will be employed and continually refined regarding architecture, maintainability, documentation, and testability. Being a mentor to other firmware engineers to encourage professional growth and the application of best practices will be an important aspect of this role. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering.
Key Skills and Qualifications You Bring
- 8+ years experience developing high-reliability embedded systems
- High competency in C for embedded systems
- Understanding of the limitations of C in highly reliable systems
- Knowledge of RTOS and embedded firmware architecture
- Experience with ARM Cortex microcontrollers and writing drivers for MCU peripherals
- Able to read schematics and PCB layouts and perform basic hardware debugging
- Able to operate electronics test equipment such as multimeters, debuggers, oscilloscopes, and logic analyzers
- Familiar with common engineering tools such as revision control, bug tracking, and project management systems
Key Competencies You Bring
- An excellent record of individual technical achievement
- An architectural thinker, able to design embedded systems for long-term success by drawing on previous experience and knowledge of best design practices for reliability, scalability, and security
- An effective communicator, able to articulate complex technical specifications to senior customers and partner engineers, while also communicating successfully with less technical staff members
- A team player with an affinity for inclusion and collaboration in a technically competent group
- Strong technical problem solving and project management skills with a drive to get things done
- Scuba diving or interest in company sponsored scuba training
- Scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Bluetooth communications
- Prior experience in a consumer electronic products environment
- Desire to contribute to organization beyond core requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in an Engineering and/or Computer Science discipline.
These are some of the benefits Shearwater employees enjoy:
- Group RSP with company matching contributions 100% up to an annual maximum of $2,500
- Competitive vacation allowance that increases over time
- Enhanced Health and Dental medical plan $3,500 for married/$1,750 for single (extremely flexible plan, no co-pay or monthly fee)
- 5 personal days per calendar year (paid out if not used)
- Diving – open water, dry suit and advanced covered; possibly more as approved by manager
- Free dive equipment rentals and air fills
- Training available to all staff
- First-come, first-served for vacation requests
- Annual bonuses based on the annual financial performance of the company
- $1000 employee referral bonus
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shearwater Research, is a privately held technology ISO9001:2015 certified world leader in the field of dive computers for serious divers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centres in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand.
Shearwater Research is an equal opportunity employer. If you are contacted regarding the position, please advise the member of our recruiting team of any accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Contact and Next Steps
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com