Supplier Development Engineer
Shearwater Research is a privately held, profitable technology company which is the world leader in the field of technical diving computers and rebreather oxygen controllers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries, and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results in a tangible, visible manner. We are a fast growing company with a very bright future.
Supplier Development Engineer
At Shearwater Research, We build great diving computers that are simple, reliable and powerful. We are always looking to improve and be better. We are a rapidly growing company and are looking for the right people to help us in that growth. For this new role we want someone with the right set of skills and attitude to develop our existing suppliers, find new suppliers and to ensure that we can grow together. We are in the diving business and moving towards the long-term vision for our future where we can continue to develop and build products in pursuit of making the diving industry safer.
Below is a list of experience and qualifications that will help you to be successful in this role, however having the right attitude is key. When applying for this position please include in your cover letter Why you are the right person to join our team and our future.
We invite you to check us out at www.shearwater.com
As a Supplier Development Engineer, you will be the key link and coordinator between the Engineering, Production, Purchasing and Quality Departments. You will help to support Engineering and the supply chain to ensure our components are designed for manufacture and to develop our suppliers to make those parts at the right cost and at the right level of quality. As this is a new role you are expected to bring your experience, knowledge and drive to the front. This position reports directly to the Engineering Manager.
Key requirements, duties and responsibilities
- Engineering background with experience in Machined Parts, Plastic Parts, Injection Moulding, Coatings and Electrical assemblies.
- Good communication skills in both English and Mandarin
- Willing to travel
- Interface with suppliers to ensure manufacturability of parts to design specifications
- Work closely with suppliers to prevent and address part non-conformances
- Familiar with 3D modelling (SolidWorks) and GD&T
- Participate in design reviews, drawing reviews, process reviews and lead supplier selections for new projects from DFMA and DFMEA/PFMEA perspective
- Ensure quality requirements are met for parts and assemblies before release to Production
- Implement Early Supplier Involvement plans for New Part Introductions with critical suppliers
- Create Quality Assurance plans for parts and assemblies
- Supplier Risk Management
- Support Quality Department when required
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Mechanical, Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years experience as a Supplier Development Engineer or equivalent
- Scuba diving or interest in company sponsored scuba training
- Prior experience in a consumer electronic products environment
These are some of the benefits Shearwater employees enjoy:
- Group RRSP with company matching contributions 100% up to an annual maximum of $2500
- Starting vacation at 3 weeks/year
- 5 personal days per year over and above your vacation allowance (after 3-month probationary period)
- Enhanced Health and Dental medical plan $3,500 for married/$1,750 for single (extremely flexible plan, no co-pay or monthly fee)
- MSP covered 100% for staff and immediate family
- Diving – open water, dry suit and advanced covered; possibly more as approved by manager
- Training available to all staff
- Toastmasters - $500 bonus for completing competent communicator; dues paid for first year while completing.
- Quarterly social events like bowling, attending baseball games, Christmas party, summer BBQ's, etc.
- Fresh fruit and nut deliveries weekly
- Flex time
- First-come, first-served for vacation requests
- Possible yearly bonuses based on the annual financial performance of the company
Contact and Next Steps
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com